Monday, May 14, 2007

Getting Grip. Losing Grip.

I have to say, I was pretty good and quite confident when I was delieverying my lines during April's rehearsal. However, for the last two weeks, I have been having so much trouble getting my lines and words.
On top of that, I'm having major problem in identifying and trying to fit into a character given by the director.
She had gave me many pointers on how she sees "Assitant Wang" to be. But it seems, everything she gave me something new, it'd be hard for me to mix it to what I established as the character's personality. Including movements.

Originally, based on the novel, "Assistant Wang" is suppose to be one of the 'bad' guys. At least, that's how I had his character down when I start with the rehearsal. But weeks after week, the director gave me more and more contrasting side of 'Assistnat Wang,' that I'm having a really hard time picking a specific action, movement, and way of speech. This character is either evil, bad, nor good. He's suppose to be very masculine and yet still have the "European High-Class Copy-Cat" feeling to it. (From what I know. The High class European and Frech gentlmen, the way they sit, walk and holding the tea cup are pretty fem-fem....) He's selfish and yet cares about his cousin Ya-Chin. He's smart and yet not to the point of being witty. Another thing that's expected from the Director, is that my movement need to be very minial or settle, so I won't take too much away from other actors.

For me, it's easy to play Bad A$$, Thug, Evil Morning, or Caring father, best friends... but when you mix all of them together... It became really complex. Especially on Stage, where my movements (and tone of voice) meant a LOT to identify my character's personality... Even though I'm a very minor character, but I still don't want to 'blend' into the background...

In the last 3 rehearsals, I strugged with my VERY simple lines. Maybe I think too much. I don't know...

I need to find my grip without losing it. I have been trying to avoid renting "Love In Tears and Laughter" TV series (Chinese Version) - because I don't want to be influence by how the other actor did this character... But when it comes to the worst... I probably may have to...

On top of that, my parents decided to travel from CA to NY, and see me in the last show. This really made me nervous, because I'd feel the pressure of not wanting to mess things up....

No comments: