Wednesday, February 04, 2009

Who's Casting What in Soap World

A friend of mine recently signed up for a Soap Workshop, hoping that he will have the chance to land an Under 5 or a Principal role. After he told me about the workshop... I told him that the person who is teaching at the workshop only cast Background roles for the show. Of course, I don't know what happens with the headshot once the Casting Assicoate took it back to the office. I've never taken a Soap Workshop, so I never get to ask if all the Principal, Under 5, and background casting share the same Talent Pool. (Talent Database)
If that's the case, then yeah, the Background Casting Associate would pass the headshot & resume to other Casting Associates to considered for a Non-Background role.

But if your intention is to learn how to book a Non-Background Daytime Soap Role, then you're better off taking a workshop from Casting Director & Associates who specializes in casting these roles.

I have list them for your reference:

ALL MY CHILDREN
Principals: Judy Blye Wilson
Background & Under 5 Casting: Bob Lambert

AS THE WORLD TURNS
Principals: Mary Clay Boland
Under 5 Casting: LaMont Craig
Background Actor Casting: Kate Martineau

DAYS OF OUR LIVES
Principal & Under 5 Casting: Marnie Saitta
Background Actor Casting: Susanne Robbins

GENERAL HOSPITAL
Principal Casting: Mark Teschner
Under 5 & Background Actor Casting: Gwen Hillier

GUIDING LIGHT
Principals: Rob Decina
Under 5 Casting: Allison Goodman
Background Actor Casting: Jill Creighton

(Rob Decina is also the author of The Art of Auditioning: Techniques for Television)

ONE LIFE TO LIVE
Principals: Julie Madison
Under 5 Casting: Victoria "Tori" Visgilo
Background Actor Casting: Sheryl Baker Fisher

THE BOLD AND THE BEAUTIFUL
Principal & Under 5 Casting: Christy Dooley
Background Actor Casting: DeAnna Andrews

THE YOUNG AND THE RESTLESS
Principal & Under 5 Casting: Camille St. Cyr
Background Actor Casting: Marisa Rodriquez

**** Update ****

This is the weirdest thing. In the last 6 years, I have never got called to work on day time soap. (I have never submit my headshot/resume to any of the soap casting offices) But after I blogged about Soap casting this morning, I got called to do Background work for ONE LIFE TO LIVE next week...

I'm so going to blog about Iron Man 2 in my next entry.

No comments: