Yangtze Repertory Theatre of America is currently casting the American Premiere of "The Empress of China", following the popular and critically acclaimed world premiere commissioned and produced by Hong Kong Repertory Theatre in Hong Kong in January 2011. Show opens on June 3rd, 2011 and runs through June 26th, 2011 with 16 performances total at Theatre for the New City.
"The Empress of China" is set in the year of 1784 during the 49th year of the reign of the Qing Emperor. It tells the legend of the first trading ship from the US to China. Blending significant historical figures and fictional characters, it examines the initial encounter for two peoples of drastically diverse experience and exceedingly different ways of looking at themselves and at the world. In the forbidden encounter between the dashing Supercargo of The Empress of China, Samuel Shaw, and the young beautiful Purple Lotus, daughter of a rich Chinese merchant, a common language was found in their belief in trust, honor, and integrity.
Open Audition at: April 3,4, 6, & 7 2011 from 6:00pm - 8:30pm
Callbacks on Sunday, April 10th, 2011.
First Reading & Rehearsal on Mondays, Wednesdays, Thursdays and Sundays from 5:45pm - 9:45pm starting April 11th, 2011 in Chinatown area.
Show opening on Friday, June 3rd and runs for 16 performances (Thursdays, Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays) with an additional performance on June 22nd, 2011.
Last performance on June 26th, 2011.
Performance Location: Theater for the New City.
Compensation: $300 stipend at the end of the entire production, and 4 complimentary tickets to any of the shows.
Seeking Non-Equity Actors only. Please only come to the audition if you are available and comfortable with the production schedule.
Open Call Location:
Transfiguration Church lunchroom (right next to the auditorium) at 29 Mott Street in the heart of Chinatown, entering from the side door on Mosco Street. (The first door on your right when you walk down the gentle slope of Mosco Street. Over the door, you will see the sign that says: "Transfiguration Church.")
For the audition, please prepare a short monologue. Please also bring a hardcopy of headshot & resume.
Actors auditioning for the role of "Father Pierre" and any of the Chinese characters, we will conduct a short interview in either Mandarin Chinese or Cantonese.
CAUCASIAN MALE ACTORS with one who must be able to speak Mandarin or Cantonese:
* Samuel Shaw - Caucasian Male. early 20s - 30s. A former officer of the Continental Army and the principal Supercargo (businessman afloat) of The Empress of China. Fencing/Stage Combat experience a plus.
* Father Pierre - Caucasian Male. late 30s - 60s. A foreigner Missioner. Actor must be able to speak English and Chinese (Mandarin or Cantonese)
* Robert Morris - Caucasian Male, late 30s - 40s. One of the investors in the voyage, he owned half interest in "The Empress of China." Fencing/Stage Combat experience a plus.
* Daniel Parker - Caucasian Male, late 30s - 40s. Owner of Daniel Parker & Company of New York. A major investor in the voyage.
* Captain Green - Caucasian Male, late 30s - 50s. A mariner with 20 years of experience through the stormy era of the Revolution.
* Doctor Johnston - Caucasian Male, mid 30s - 40s. The attending physician of "The Empress of China."
* Thomas Randall - Caucasian Male, early 30s - 40s. A former officer of the continental army and a close friend of Samuel Shaw. second supercargo of "The Empress of China."
CHINESE CHARACTERS (Mandarin or Cantonese speaking)
* Master Pan- Chinese Male, age 40s - 60s. Father of Lotus and Wen-Da.
* Pan Wen-Da - Chinese Male, age 20s - 30s. Brother of Lotus. Martial Arts / Stage Combat Training a plus. Actor must be able to speak English and Chinese.
* Custom Chief Officer/Fan: Chinese male, age late 30s - 50s.
* Mayor Zhang of Canton: Chinese male, middle aged
* Zi-Lian (Lotus) - Chinese Female, age 15. Sister of Wen-Da. Actress must be able to speak English and Chinese
* Madame Pan - Chinese Female, middle aged. Mother of Lotus and Wen-Da.
* Mistress Pan - Chinese Female, age late 20s - 40s. Mistress of Master Pan.
* Ai-Ping - Chinese Female, age early 20s - 30s. Wife of Wen-Da.
* Su-Fen - Chinese Female, age 18 - late 20s. Lotus's teenage maid.
This is a Non-Equity production; however all cast & crew will be covered by the Volunteer Insurance.
For more information regarding the theatre company, please visit: http://www.yangtze-rep-theatre.org
纽约长江剧团现为话剧《中国皇后號》在美首演招募演员。该剧由香港話劇團委約長江劇團藝術總監陳尹瑩博士創作及導演, 于2011年一月在香港成功完成世界首演，社会反响强烈, 叫好叫座。现计划将于今年六月三日至二十六日在纽约新城市剧场演出十六场 。
演出地点：紐約第一大道八至九街之間新城市剧院（Theater for the New City，155 First Avenue (between 9th and 10th Streets)，New York, NY 10003）
演员面试地点：纽约市中国城顯聖容天主堂樓下禮堂（Transfiguration Church auditorium, 29 Mott Street，请由侧门入内。即顺着Mosco Street小斜坡往下走，在您右手边的第一道门，门上标有“Transfiguration Church”）。