Sunday, July 20, 2008

My Others

Today, I had the pleasure of watching my friend, Pauline Cheung, performing her first Cantonese off-off Broadway show, "My Others."

It is so rare, to see a production that consist equally "star power" of both Asian actors in their senior age range, and the younger ones. Personally, I really enjoy watching the more mature talents performce, because they bring years of experience, solid training, and emotions to the stage - to the character.
As for other actors, it's always see how they're able to bounce off the energy of their co-stars, and bring something to the table.

With limited budget, I think the show was well put together. The script is very neat, and story line is easy to follow. (And YES, they have English Sub-titles)

So, if you are interested in the show, and want to support a low-budget fun performance, please.... please check it out:

***********************************************
My OTHERS Playwright/Directed by Kit Sing Chao



Returned home from the Spring break one day, Lily, a quiet and reserved girl who has a hard time communicating with her father, found him sleeping on the couch. Or did he? According to her aunt, Lily's father has been killed recently in an auto accident. So who was the person she just saw in the house? That night, while she was cleaning up her father's room, a stranger appears - her mother's dead twin sister. Through this unacquainted relative, Lily is able to travel back in time and witness the events that took place after her mother's departure up until her father's last days. The haunted experience has helped Lily to expel the demon that has been living inside her, and finally resolve the differences between herself and her father.

Showtimes:

July 25 (Friday) 8pm
July 26 (Saturday) 3pm & 7pm
July 27 (Sunday) 3pm

Admission:
$12.00, senior citizens half-price
(Print out this poster and bring it to the box office, you will get $2.00 off)

Location:
Flamboyan Theater
CSV Cultural Center - The incubator of the arts
107 Suffolk Street at Rivington
New York, NY 10002

Direction:
Located at Lower East Side of Manhattan between Rivington St. and Delancey St.
(By Train:) F train to Delancey St. or J,M,Z to Essex St. Walk to Suffolk St., then make a left.

For more information regarding Four Seas Player, please visit: http://home.4seas.org
***********************************************

Pauline's performance was great. I thought she did a wonderful job protraiting a ghost from the ancient past. Her movements, gestures, and expressions made her character believable.

I was shocked that after the show, when she greets me off stage, she asked me for my opinoin with her performance. I was very flattered - since I'm not really a stage actor, and definately not at the level to "coach" other actors. But I find nothing wrong with her performance. (Not that she's my friend or anything. I'm a very straight forward person, if someone asks me for my option, I tell it the way it is)

She told me that she couldn't get her tears to fall during a certain scene. (In rehearsals, she was able to turn on the flood gate and let everything go out)

My first instinct was, "Spirits don't have tears." And I told her that. I mean, after people die, all liquid within our body are either extracted, or dried up. How could a corpse cry?

One of the actors, she told me, cried during their scene.

I said... "I didn't notice."

Paulne: "He had tears."

Wayne: "Pauline, I was sitting in stage right, 4th row, right behind the person who does the subtitles. I didn't see tears. He looked white." (His character had WHITE theater makeup on his face)

Pauline: "You couldn't see?"

Wayne: "Nope. He's supposed to cry?"

From my personal point of view - Being able to cry (on cue) doesnt' prove an actor is professionally trained, or a 'real' actor. I mean, after all, this is a show, not a crying contest. If the tears come naturally within the character during the performance, then let them flow. But don't force yourself to cry. It doesn't work that way. (Plus, for stage performance, it's hard for the audience to see if a character is crying or not from far away. Tears are more effective for TV/Film close-up shots... but for Theater.. I think the focus should be voice projection and movements ---- yes yes yes, feel free to disagree with me)

Quoted from my acting teacher, Sande, that when you're on stage, you "live" in the situation. You express whatever it is, that *you* are feeling - in the content of the scene.

I think Pauline had no idea that her performance really showcased the years of training she had. She needs to have more faith in herself. I mean, she didn't realize how natural her movements were? The way she placed her handkerchief below her cheek, how she tilt her head side-ways... I personally think she outstaged her peers on stage.

No comments: